Last Updated on: 17th August 2021, 05:27 pm
I’ve been maintaining a separate book review blog at fullofwords.com for a few years now. I’ve included a selection of my posts below.
- 10 PRINT “Heart of Code: The Impossible Fortress” – The Impossible Fortress hits the exact right notes of eighties nostalgia without turning into a catalog of bygone pop culture.
- The Perfect Do-Over: Reincarnation Blues by Michael Poore – Reincarnation Blues is hilarious, moving, shocking and occasionally disturbing. The result is a wonderful coming-of-age story if those can happen to someone after they’ve lived close to ten thousand lives.
- The Postmortal by Drew Magary – If you happen to smile while reading The Postmortal, I imagine it will be a mirthless rictus intermingled with horror rather than anything signifying amusement.
- Wild Thing by Josh Bazell – Everything I liked about Wild Thing tells me that Bazell is a great author to watch. The problems I had may just be the symptoms of the dreaded sophomore slump that seems to affect so many great artists.
- Mind MGMT, Volume 1: The Manager by Matt Kindt – I like that Kindt did something original with his style, but I had a hard time accepting the art as a stylistic choice instead of something that just felt a bit amateurish.
- An Epic of Love, String Theory and Donuts: Skippy Dies by Paul Murray – All of these characters and more interact in scenes that are hilarious, touching and occasionally even disturbing.
- The Many-Headed Hydra: John Scalzi’s The Human Division – The Human Division is many things at once; it is, of course, a new story in the Old Man’s War universe, but it’s also an experiment in digital distribution.