I’ve been maintaining a separate book review blog at fullofwords.com for a few years now. I’ve included a selection of my posts below.
- The Postmortal by Drew Magary - If you happen to smile while reading The Postmortal, I imagine it will be a mirthless rictus intermingled with horror rather than anything signifying amusement.
- Wild Thing by Josh Bazell - Everything I liked about Wild Thing tells me that Bazell is a great author to watch. The problems I had may just be the symptoms of the dreaded sophomore slump that seems to affect so many great artists.
- Mind MGMT, Volume 1: The Manager by Matt Kindt - I like that Kindt did something original with his style, but I had a hard time accepting the art as a stylistic choice instead of something that just felt a bit amateurish.
- An Epic of Love, String Theory and Donuts: Skippy Dies by Paul Murray - All of these characters and more interact in scenes that are hilarious, touching and occasionally even disturbing.
- The Many-Headed Hydra: John Scalzi’s The Human Division - The Human Division is many things at once; it is, of course, a new story in the Old Man’s War universe, but it’s also an experiment in digital distribution.